Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate

So I've been out of the certification loop for a couple of years - mainly due to workload and time/cost vs gain just not being worth it to me once you hit a high enough level.  I always try not to certify too far past the level I currently work at because a lot of that knowledge will just drain away when you're not using it.
On a whim I logged into the MCP page this week and noticed some changes since my last visit.  I guess it was only a matter of time until Microsoft pushed out new 'cloudy' certifications.  One bittersweet surprise was that I gained a new certification - Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate - apparently just for being a 2008 MSCA (back when it was 'administrator').  I guess I can't complain too much about a new free title, it's just that after all those bad years of hearing horror stories about paper MCSEs and fly by night Microsoft certs coupled with a few real life experiences with 'book smart, practical dumb' certification holders I'd already felt my certifications were being devalued.  I guess it's time to get off my duff and get back to working on these again before I get left behind.  So starting today I'll start studying for my "Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert" cert which will be available June 11th, 2012.  If I find anything useful while brushing up I'll be sure to post.

No comments: