Monday, October 22, 2007

sql 2005 sp2 921896 failed

Well, I ran into a nice issue while trying to install SQL 2005 SP2 on a server that already has Hotfix 921896 installed. A big blaring error which causes the database engine upgrade to abort and generating a new level of headache. After much, much searching I found a workaround on the MSDN forums for it. Apparently the fix is to go through with the SP2 update and let it error out, then change a registry key to fool the system into thinking that everythings cool and re-running the service pack again. The second time I ran the SP2 update, the database engine was updated properly.

"Even when you complete the installation, the parameter Resume(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSQL\Server\MSSQL.1\Setup) in the registry stays at 1 instead of 0. Youhave to change it to 0 and then it works." - markwyz1

See the last post on this page:

You may ask why I'm reposting the whole solution here. To put it simply, there's not a whole lot of references to this fix on the web but there are a whole lot of hits with no solution.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Installing WinXP on a Dell D630 laptop that came with Vista

*UPDATED 12/19/08* - There are now three ways to go about this. See below for the updated link
Seems like it would be straightforward and easy. I mean, we ghost image and load up latitudes every week with no problem. Lo and behold, a new curve ball from Intel/Microsoft/Dell - "Flash Cache" ( and "AHCI"( If these two things are enabled, then you get a pretty Blue Screen during bootup. Apparently the new Flash Cache is like the "ReadyBoost" feature that we see on newer USB drives where data is cached from the hard drive to speed up access. In this case, the cache is built into the laptop hardware and I'd imagine is a good deal faster. Unfortunately XP doesn't seem to have a clue what to do with it and it is a feature that is unlikely to be supported in XP as MS is really pushing Vista. And due to legacy apps we have to support, we're stuck with good old rock solid XP for now.

Before I ramble on too far, here's the skinny of it, go into BIOS -> SATA Operations and set the mode to ATA instead of AHCI. If Flash Cache is enabled, you have to turn that off first in BIOS before it'll let you modify the AHCI setting. Then Voila, XP is happy.

Updated 12/19/08 Alternately you can build a XP CD with the Intel Storage Manager drivers integrated into it. I recommend using nLite and follow the instructions at this site:
I have tested this and was able to create a XP SP2 volume cd with these drivers integrated.

Updated: See link in the first comment below to the Dell forums from. (Thanks go out to 'bro_tayo' for his workaround. I tested this out on a D630 this morning (2/1/08) and was able to get it to run now with AHCI and Flash Cache enabled. I also went ahead and installed the latest Intel Storage Manager on top of it just as a precaution. The version that Dell and Lenovo currently are pushing is whereas Intel has

Bro_Tayo's Post:

Lenovo page for the procedure mentioned in Bro_Tayo's post:
(That link appears to be dead.) Possible alternate:

Intel's latest version of the Storage Manager:*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#UTL

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

can't update timesheets in project server 2003

Scenario: You've published your project to Project Server 2003 and your resources don't seem to be able to update their timesheets. They were able to last week but this week some of those time fields are greyed out. Only tasks that were changed this week seem to be affected so not all users and tasks were affected.

Option 1: Take your Microsoft Project Server out back and shoot it. (oddly enough, this is often the solution that comes to mind first for all Project Server issues).

Option 2: Log into Project Web Access as an Admin. Go to the Admin menu, then on the left click on Customize Project Web Access. Make sure "Hours of work done per day or per week" is selected. This setting on my server 'magically' changed sometime last week and all projects that were republished since then have this problem. Change this setting and click the save button at the bottom. Then open the affected projects with Project 2003 Pro and go to Publish -> Republish Assignments and click OK. (Yes, you need to republish ALL assignments).

I found this solution while googling so props go out to Dale Howard of (as of 2004 when the newsgroup post occured).