Tuesday, June 21, 2011


So after following 3 guides and one book I can now connect to my Lync 2010 server remotely through TMG 2010. The nifty error in the title there was rather fun to get rid of. You'd think that just toggling a setting that says enable remote user access would be the end of it. The final hitch that got me was that all the guides I found for setting up an Edge server have you export/import the configuration BEFORE you assign a global access policy and the Access Edge Configuration. I just assumed that once they'd partnered up, all updates would just magically sync by themselves. I found out through trial and error that if you make changes after you've deployed your Edge server then you need to go back in and re-import the configuration. Here's how to sync them up again:

1. Export out the current configuration from your internal Lync 2010 server.
Export-CsConfiguration -filename c:\temp\yourfilename.zip
2. Import the current configuration onto your Edge server using that file.
Import-CsConfiguration -filename c:\temp\yourfilename.zip -LocalStore

Thursday, June 9, 2011

TMG 2010, android 3.0, and the google market

Now this one was driving me up the wall. One of our users has a new Iconia Tablet and wasn't able to use the Android market at all while behind my firewall but worked fine everywhere else. I did a trace with TMG and there were no errors, all outgoing connections looked fine. So I went ahead and threw on Network Monitor onto the firewall so I could see where it was going. I noticed that kept popping up which resolves to android.clients.google.com. I added that to the Web Browser tab for the proxy and then let the settings kick in and it fixed the problem. So I'm guessing that there's some issue with the TMG proxy and the google market.

Addendum - 6/15/11
Well, that didn't fully knock it out of the park. Apparently it also tries an outbound TCP 5228 which I also had to add to the protocol list for my users.