Tuesday, November 6, 2007

RIP - Hyperterm

So I'm finally playing around with Vista on the old laptop. I got a new switch in and hooked up the COM ports and went to fire up HyperTerm. To my dismay, it was gone. Good old sweet, gentle but stupid and rickety HyperTerm. I'll admit, it was never the most powerful terminal solution out there but you could always depend on it being installed on every windows box. My only theories are that either that extra 29KB would've pushed the Vista ISO past a single DVD, or that it was deemed a security hazard, or that they couldn't figure out how to let it open a COM port securely.

Alas, I had to fall back to Putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
which is a very reliable SSH/Telnet/Serial client. No installation required, just copy/paste and play.

No comments: