Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Backup Exec 12.5

I was slightly hesitant when I got the upgrade emails from Symantec but I went ahead and downloaded it. The upgrade installation went through without a hitch, all my settings were retained, and the jobs are running properly. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that this is probably the best Backup Exec upgrade I've had in the past 4 years.

One of the reasons I wanted to roll this out is that I'm looking at rolling out a 2008 Hyper-V box next year and they've added a new agent specifically for Microsoft Virtual Servers. Now I'm not a licensing expert but it looks like they're going to focus more on licensing the Host Virtual server and not worry as much about how many virtual machines are on it. An Agent for VMWARE ESX is now available as well.

On top of that, they've released a new version of their System Recovery product (8.5) which like the previous version allows you to convert your backups into virtual machines. The new 8.5 version adds support for Hyper-V and scheduled conversions.
http://www.symantec.com/business/backup-exec-system-recovery-server-edition

So far so good with the new version. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it lasts...

No comments: