Sunday, October 18, 2009

backup exec remote agent stuck in starting state

Server: Windows 2003 SP2
Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 SP2

So after a recent security patch, one of my server's started having backup problems. Then I noticed that the Backup Exec Remote Agent was stuck in 'Starting' under the services panel. Tried killing beremote, rebooting, reinstalling, etc to no avail. So I tried the internet and found a retarted solution that somehow works. Apparently one of the outlook express patches automatically changes the default mail program to outlook express. So you have to go into internet options and set it to Outlook. Even if you don't have outlook installed. Even though this doesn't make a darn bit of sense. Then try starting the service after making that change.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-remote-agent-stuck-quotstartingquot-state

Thursday, October 15, 2009

XP remote desktop problem connecting to Windows 7

Before you ask, it's not the Network Level Auth problem.
And no, the computer is on and in the same domain.
And both computers are in the same subnet.
But all the DHCP based XP clients can RDP fine to the Windows 7 boxes. Hmm.

The problem I ran into is that some of the legacy XP clients had static IP addresses set but no "DNS suffix for this connection". So I added it in and voila it stated working.


I didn't really think it'd be that either but I tested it out on 2 more machines with the same results. Apparently Windows 7/Win2k8 place more trust in "Location Awareness" rather than depending on checking if the IP is in the same subnet or if the computer's in the same domain, etc. It just wants to know that your client thinks it's in the same logical DNS structure that it's on.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Exchange 2007 SP2 install error 6574fdc2-40fc-405a-9554-22d1ce15686b

Never a dull moment in Exchange administration...

While attempting to upgrade my existing Exchange 2007 SP1 Mailbox/Transport Hub server to Service Pack 2, I ran into the following error during the Mailbox portion:
Unable to remove product with code 6574fdc2-40fc-405a-9554-22d1ce15686b

So I started doing Google searches and found the same error used to occur during the SP1 install. With no other leads, I figured what the heck.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31251935/exchange-2007-sp1-partial.aspx

1. I ran this from a command prompt:
MsiExec.exe /X {6574fdc2-40fc-405a-9554-22d1ce15686b}
to remove the Search Indexer
2. Reboot
3. Tried running the Service pack again and it ran all the way through this time without error.

So far so good.